The San Marino Tennis Federation was founded in the Republic of San Marino in 1957 but the discipline has been practiced on Mount Titano since the 40’s when the first two clay courts were built in the old town centre.
In 1949 two tennis clubs were formed (the Circolo Tennis San Marino and the Circolo Tennis Borgo Maggiore) and the first tournaments were organised, an increasingly intense activity that precedes the organisation of a national structure.
In 1957 it was Manuzio Della Balda who gave life to the FST. After Della Balda there have been seven presidents, the last of which, who is still in office, is Christian Forcellini. During the years in which San Marino Federtennis has been in business, it has grown exponentially, with three points that caused great turning points:
In 1988 the first Internationals of tennis were organised in San Marino, in 1991 the Centro Tennis Cassa di Risparmio was built, in 1992 the Italian National team participated in the Davis Cup for the first time.
Currently the rich national activity includes the organisation of three tournaments (an Open, a Challenger ATP and one Junior Open ITF), the participation in the Davis Cup and in the international competitions of the National Olympic Committee of San Marino (to which the FST is affiliated).
A few years ago the San Marino Tennis Federation founded the San Marino Tennis Academy, an elite organisation in the world of tennis.